Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Czech Bureaucracy: Obtaining a Long-Stay Residence Permit (Part 2)

Over the next few days, you discuss the situation with your boss, who, having dealt with the government before, is fortunately very understanding and agrees to give you the day off the following Wednesday to retrieve the papers (assuming the offices have them ready in time) and go to the foreigner police in Rakovnik to submit your application at last. This time you take no risks, and employ a Czech friend to do the translation for you. They’re always nicer when you have a native speaker to do the talking.

On Monday, you plan to call both offices (neither of which are open on Tuesday) to check the status of your papers and make sure they’ll be ready in time. The finance office beats you to the punch, however, calling you at 11:00 and rattling off something very complicated-sounding that you are apparently expected to memorize instantly. You ask that they hold on for just a second and pass the phone off to a Czech-speaking colleague who is kind enough to write everything down for you.

She’s gone for a lot longer than you expect. Finally, ten minutes later, she returns with a piece of paper covered in numbers. The first number is 32 - the number of crowns that the finance office claims you owe and must pay before they will issue you the bezdlužnost.

But wait - how could you possibly owe them any money? You’ve only been in the country for four and a half months! You certainly don’t owe any taxes. Well, the woman on the phone had no idea why you owe the money, but until you pay it, they won’t give you the paper.

Lovely. At least it's only a very small amount. So how do you get them this money?

Well, you could go to the office in Kladno and give them the money in person. Of course, they close at 2 pm and it would be physically impossible to get there from here in time. The other option is to make a bank transfer (the other numbers on the paper are the information you need for this) - but it must be from the Czech National Bank, only one branch of which is located in Prague, and which closes at - you guessed it, 2 pm. Peachy.

You have your colleague, who graciously offers to cover for you while you leave a bit early to run to this bank, call the woman back to inform her you’ll be paying by bank transfer and confirm that your paper will be ready on Wednesday. She also tries to call the social office for you, but she encounters nothing but an impenetrable labyrinth of automatic systems, none of which offers any useful advice or, you know, a human being to speak to. You give up, cross your fingers and squeeze your thumbs hoping that all will be well, and rush out the door to the bank.

You make it 15 minutes before they close and have to go through a metal detector to get inside. You take a number and, after a few minutes of searching, manage to find the forms for making a payment to the finance office. The form is indecipherable, however, and even the Czechs waiting their turn are helping each other figure out what to write in each field. Fortunately, the average Czech citizen is considerably more friendly and helpful than most government workers, and one of them speaks enough English to help you out. You fill it in as best you can and pray to whichever gods might be listening that you’ve done it properly.

You watch each person approach the window and try to pay. Each of them is up there for a distressingly long time, and each has to answer questions and make adjustments to their paperwork. Finally, it’s your turn. You hand the woman the form and the money. She punches something into a computer then hands you a receipt. That’s it, she says.

That was suspiciously easy.

How sad is it that when something goes smoothly, your first instinct is to suspect that you've done something wrong?

Now there’s nothing left to do but wait until Wednesday and hope that everything goes well.

7 comments:

  1. Great posts Megan, thanks for sharing. How has it turned out?
    To me it seems the CR is is NO WAY eager to allow expats to reside here long term as it's been quite a while now that the process has remained illogically cumbersome and from what I'm told it's become a lot harder than it used to be DESPITE the mind numbing, stupefying bureaucracy. Considering the time, money, train rides, translators, corralled friends and general bureaucratic insanity it took for me to get my Zivnost/Long Stay Visa (for 6 whole months, yipee!!) I'm biting the bullet and (again) paying around $1000 USD, to have someone navigate me through it, knowing full well there's no guarantees and I'll still be dealing with entire days squandered waiting in lines etc.
    It' a lot of hard earned cash yet I'm way too inspired by the city to walk away and I also feel very blessed to be finding enough work to live here (it's a lot more expensive than I figured it would be)
    That famous Czech bureaucracy seems to be an old story, yet one I never tire of following and/or sharing with others. It no longer really surprises me yet still leaves me a bit baffled and often amused.
    Your story has been fun to track! How has it ended?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! I apologize for the delay in continuing this story - the holidays have tangled my schedule a bit, but the rest is coming soon.

    I'll provide more details on my opinions when I finish this saga, but a quick thought is that as long as you have at least one good, reliable friend who speaks Czech, it is not worth paying someone to do your visa work for you. As hellish as it is to do it yourself, from what I've heard it's really no easier to have someone else "guide" you - just more expensive. The procedure is so different and so difficult for each individual that no "professional" middleman can really make the process any easier than any other Czech speaker who can call offices, ask questions, and come with you to translate. In any case, best of luck with your application! I'm still not 100% done with mine, but I'm getting close and daring to hope that it will work out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I'm looking forward to the conclusion of the saga.
    Looking back, I wish I had documented mine while it was happening. To do so now would be like writing a thesis! Maybe I'll hammer that out one day. At present I have some nasty deadlines looming this week.
    Megan, if you wouldn't mind, I would love to dialogue with you and possibly pick your brains a bit more. I may have buried myself by lagging, but I'm thinking your experience may help with some important decisions and possibly save me some money. I'm terrified to go this alone, yet your not the only who has suggested it. I can't find a way to email you here (new to Blogger) I'm on Facebook or if you have a preferred method of communicating I'd be happy to work out some compensation. Either way, thanks and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Search for my name on Google Plus if you use that and you can message me there. If not, give me some time and I'll post some contact info just for this site - I'd rather keep it separate from my usual email address. I'd be happy to help you out if I'm able, although it's really a gamble and every case is different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is ridiculous. I am planning on paying a lawyer a good chunk of money to do this for me, but I'm wondering how much of this he will be able to do for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the unfortunate thing - they actually can't do very much. It used to be that you could sign a document giving someone permission to file your paperwork for you, but they passed a law last year that says you must do it yourself, in person, no exceptions (even if someone is in the hospital). The only thing a lawyer or middleman can do for you now is call the offices, tell you which documents you need, and go with you everywhere to translate. And they charge an absurd amount of money for this service, which any Czech speaker can do.

    A professional will certainly have a better idea of where to start, but it seems that each person will be required to provide different documents depending on their situation and the mood of whoever is working in the offices, so it's not like a professional can just tell you what to do and where to go and it'll all go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, despite being a bit concerned, I've decided to pay my 'person' only as a consultant, which is a fraction of the cost otherwise. With their direction I'll do it myself, which, yes, I would be doing anyway even if I paid top dollar. Apparently there are still some things 'Visa handlers' can do e.g. call/pick up/submit etc. but much they can't, so why bother paying (I just hope I don't eat my words). I'll need to also hire a translator and I'm expecting quite a lot of waiting around and scurrying to and fro. I figure I'll learn a bit more about the process, save some money and simply not worry about setbacks, illogical hurdles etc and just keep forging ahead until it's done! Wish me luck!
    David, if you want some help just friend me on FB and I'll let you know what I've found out. And thanks Megan for your offer to assist. I want to hear how your story has panned out and I'll let you know what my adventures have to offer. Onward!

    ReplyDelete